Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Sunday Brunch- The Dishes Can Wait! Hang with God for a While

"On the seventh day God had finished his work of creation, so he rested from all his work."Genesis 2:2

It is Biblical and necessary to rest. I've taken my own advice and this is why I'm writing my Sunday Brunch on Tuesday. I hardly cleaned; didn't garden at all but it felt good! Too many times we get in such a hurry; so busy with the happenings of the day that we forget what is essential- God and abiding in His Word and examples. We live in a society where the mantra for many is "Go!Go!Go!" Go to work for a 15 hour day. Go pick up the kids from their umpteenth unnecessary and over-programmed day. Go to the mall. Go to a friend's house. Go volunteer at the local food kitchen. Go read Facebook statuses for 2 hours and wonder where your day went. Go blog about something. Go go go go go. Enough!

Sometimes we busy our lives so much, we forget to do things like talk to our bestest friend of all- God. We don't talk with him because we're so busy. We feel like we don't have time to be still before God so we can hear his voice. We busy ourselves to the extent that we don't have a moment to take out His Love Letter and read it; fill up on His Goodness. But we wonder why we're taxed; our spirits as barren as the Sahara.

Heller! Take a rest! This doesn't mean abandon your responsibilities; laid up on your couch with your belly hanging out and half a burrito stuffed in your mouth (although sometimes, that does sound like a good idea). Instead, I urge you to not busy your days with the urgent things of life  (I'd call it the hustle and bustle syndrome). Instead make sure you're getting the important stuff done like uhhhh, hanging with God. He does indeed want to hang with you. Then worry about the rest because it truly can wait.

I've fallen victim to the tyranny of the urgent  (this is a really amazing document introduced to me by Husband) many times. In an attempt to try and not fall into that trap again, I quit my teaching job last year (the urgency of money can make you do crazy things like drive 45 minutes for $20,000 a year in the name of ministry) and decided to instead, take a little pay cut, stay home and enjoy my family. The "urgent" has still tried to creep back in though. There are times I still feel the busyness. That's my indicator, I need more God and less activity. So this past week, I've worked and rearranged my schedule to make time to be still and rest before God.

Totally would've missed this masterpiece had I not slowed
down for the "important" verses the "urgent". Love my guys.
I had a very dear friend from college come in from out of town. It was good to joke and laugh and catch up and tease and be "girls" with one another. I needed her visit more than she'll ever know.  I got to show off my husband (so proud of him!) and take her to the firehouse and laugh at her being too scared to slide down the short pole (about 10ft). She put on my husband's gear and modeled. I was the photographer. There was a certain degree of whimsy I would've missed had I told her not to come and instead busied myself with church work, my growing business, or taking the time to write a blog entry. I chilled and it was totally worth it!

Yesterday Husband, Friend, and Other Friend went to a concert. I screamed at the top of my lungs, sang all the songs obnoxiously, cried out to God (it was a Christian band), screamed some more just because I could, and enjoyed the fact that I was in a seat receiving music worship rather than offering it up from behind a microphone. I needed that.

Tomorrow I'm off to an older friend's property in Nowheresville. I truly don't know the name of the town they live in but I'm ok with that. It adds to the adventure of their property. I'm sooooo excited. This friend/mentor has 30 acres, 2 ponds and her husband built a detached "mancave" that's more like a watchtower. I'll read and pray and walk the trails and eat good food and have good conversation. I'm sure to feel rested.

I'll get back from this little getaway and there will be a multitude of things to do and they will innocently try to pull my attention away from God. I will have to actively be aware to remain in God's presence; to not let my eye wander to cleaning house,  grocery shopping or a thousand other deaths by errands before I do the important things like hang with God.

"Do not be in a hurry to leave the king's presence. Do not stand up for a bad cause, for he will do whatever he pleases." Ecclesiastes 8:3

It would do your soul well to read Tyranny of the Urgent by Charles E. Hummel. It's super-short for all those who think you have limited time (like maybe 900 words). It will be good for you. That's it. That's all I got for ya. A couple of Bible verses and a short reading assignment ;) Enjoy and rest a little would ya? If you feel so inclined, leave a comment and let me know how you rested this week and how it worked out for you.

Sunday Brunch happens every Sunday as a spiritual encouragement for readers of the Fiery Wife blog. Come back next week and see what God is serving up for you to eat. "Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good! (Ps. 34:8)"


If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers


No comments:

Post a Comment